Make healthy living your 2023 resolution
Department of Health offers 2023 healthy living tips
SANTA FE — 2023 is right around the corner, and the best new year resolution you can make is taking care of yourself. The Department of Health would like more residents to consider making living a healthy 2023 their New Year’s resolution.
“Kicking off the new year focusing on your health is a great start to a healthy lifestyle,” said Christopher Novak M.D., Medical Director for DOH Public Health Division. “Make sure to focus not just on your physical health, but your mental health as well.”
Making health your New Year’s resolution can start your year off on the right foot. Start with a few small, sustainable changes and these will add up over time. The Department of Health wants to lead residents towards a healthy lifestyle with the following tips:
• Make an appointment with a healthcare professional for a check-up, vaccination or screening. Regular medical and oral tests can help find problems before they start. Schedule a COVID-19 vaccine here: Get Vaccinated New Mexico
• Get active! An active lifestyle is a sure-fire way to live healthy. Start small by taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
• Make healthy food choices. A healthy eating plan includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. To see if you qualify for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) visit New Mexico WIC.
• Get enough sleep. Insufficient sleep is associated with a number of chronic diseases and conditions. You can find resources on getting better sleep here.
• Wash your hands with soap and water. This can prevent many common diseases. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer.
• Cut back on alcohol. After the holidays, consider taking a break from drugs and alcohol for a time.
• Be smoke-free. The start of the year is a great time to quit tobacco products. For smoking cessation assistance, please visit NM NUPAC.
The Department of Health hopes all residents have a tremendous 2023 leading healthy lifestyles. For more resources on living a healthy lifestyle, please visit our website at nmhealth.org.