Community Memorial Service ~ Public Encouraged to Plan Ahead
EL PASO, Texas – The public is encouraged to plan ahead if attending El Paso’s Community Memorial Service in support of those injured and to pay respects to those lost in the mass shooting.
The memorial gathering starts at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, August 14, 2019, at Southwest University Park in downtown. Below please find the details for the event.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Several temporary street closures will begin at 5 p.m. near the memorial sites. Motorists are encouraged to avoid the street closures. Appropriate traffic control measures will be in place to guide the traveling public.
Downtown Street Closures:
· Santa Fe Street between Wyoming Avenue and San Antonio Avenue
· Missouri Avenue between Durango Street and El Paso Street
· W. Franklin Avenue between Santa Fe Street and El Paso Street
Ponder Park Street Closures:
· Viscount Boulevard (one lane closed in each direction) from Sunmount to Bellrose Drive
· WH Burges Drive from Ash Lane to Sun Mount Drive
· Juniper Street from Edgemere Boulevard to WH Burges Drive
· Catalpa Lane from WH Burges Drive to Viscount Boulevard
· Doors will open at 6 p.m. at Southwest University Park, located at E. Franklin Avenue and Santa Fe Street. The public is encouraged to arrive no more than one hour prior to doors opening. The memorial program will be simulcast live at three satellite sites to accommodate all who wish to participate.
· Live simulcasts will be at: the Convention Center, at Santa Fe Street and San Antonio Avenue; at Cleveland Square Park, at Santa Fe Street and Franklin Avenue; and at Ponder Park, at 7500 W.H. Burges Drive.
· Free parking provided at all metered parking spaces and at various parking garages located in Uptown and Downtown. Sun Metro will provide free transportation for people who park in uptown or at Glory Road.
· At Ponder Park, the public may park in nearby GECU parking lot or on-street parking spaces
Learn more by visiting elpasotexas.gov.