Keep Your Pets Safe by Keeping Them Inside
Animal Services Urging Pet Owners to Practice July Fourth Pet Tips
EL PASO, Texas – Last July, nearly 3,000 animals entered the El Paso Animal Services Center, many of them finding their way to the shelter due to the stress of July Fourth festivities. To ensure pets stay safe and out of the center, Animal Services is urging pet owners to bring their pets indoors for the holiday.
Each year on July 5, Animal Services receives a large number of calls regarding pets who escaped from their families in a desperate attempt to flee after being frightened by fireworks. The bright lights and noises from fireworks can cause a great deal of stress for animals.
Losing a pet is no way to celebrate a holiday, so keep them safe by being a responsible pet owner and following the simple tips below.
Tips to help keep your pet safe and calm:
• Resist the urge to take your pets to fireworks displays on July Fourth events.
• Keep pets indoors and close the curtains.
• Take pets outside on a leash to “do their business” prior to the evening hours when fireworks are typically lit.
• Turn on the radio or television to help mask outdoor noises.
• Microchip your pet, or make sure your pet’s microchip is up-to-date with the correct contact information.
• Keep a well-fitting (not tight) collar and identification tag on your pet.
• If your pet is crate-trained, place them in their crate.
• If you have a new pet and you do not know how it will react to loud noises, stay with your pet.
Please note that the Animal Services Center located at 5001 Fred Wilson and will be open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 4. The Center will resume normal operating hours, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., on Friday, July 5.
If you find a lost pet during the holiday, you can always try to locate the owner by having the animal scanned at any El Paso Fire Station, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To view a list of all fire station locations, visit www.EPFire.org and click on the “About Us” tab.
picture for illustration purposes only